Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dental Myths:  Fact vs Fiction

Myth:  I can't see any problems with my teeth and I don't have pain, so I don't need to go to the dentist.

Fact:  There are dental problems that aren't visible to the naked eye.  Gum disease, hairline fractures and root canal disease are just a few of these problems.  Dentists use technologies such as digital X-rays to detect problems both on and beneath the surface of your teeth.  Dental visits should be considered preventive care not emergency care.  Treating an issue BEFORE it is visible or painful is less expensive to fix.




Myth:  I don't need to worry about my teeth because my parents never had problems.


Fact:  Though genetics may play a small role in predicting your oral health, how well you take care of your teeth will be the single most important determinant in how healthy they are.






Myth:  Chewing sugar-free gum after a meal is just as effective as brushing.


Fact:  It is true that chewing sugar-free gum after meals can help clean your teeth, stimulate saliva flow and freshen your breath, however, it is no replacement for a thorough brushing and flossing, which actually removes dental plaque and food debris.  



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

    Gum disease Doctor Norwich CT

    ReplyDelete